Thursday, September 24, 2009

Be Careful What You Wish For...

A saying I hate because it's so true...

Since I divorced in 2002 I've been wishing, dreaming and longing for my own home. Shortly after my divorce, my Grandpa told me I would never own a home without a husband. And for a while there I was starting to believe him too. Three months ago, at a time most unlikely, in the middle of the biggest recession I can recall, I own this home - my very own (well in 30 years.) I think the biggest surprise is just how much time it takes to keep up a home let alone fix up. There's always something to buy and something to deal with that just wasn't part of that great fantasy in my head. Like...

- the snake my kitty caught and brought me as a gift... I'm so glad it wasn't very big and half dead or I would have probably fainted.
- the endless painting. By the way, expensive paint is worth the money. You will spend more time cleaning up cheap paint and repainting over and over. Just spend the money on Benjamin Moore. (And no, they aren't giving me any money for this endorsement.)
- the barrage of solicitors that come to my door either selling me goods or religion. I'm sad to say, I have a new rule - I don't answer the door. Living in apartments all these years had some benefits I'm now seeing.
- squirrels living in my attic - they aren't paying rent and I've been trying to get them out for two weeks with loud music, foggers, traps with peanut butter and pounding on the wall. I might be making headway.

When does the dream come? When do all those pretty images in my head come to reality? Will they? That's the interesting thing about dreaming and fantasizing, time is never factored in in any realistic way...
Anything of any value takes time ... another saying I don't really like either. Probably because it's too true. Dealing with alot of truth right now. Lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment